Driving Abroad

Any motoring talk that doesn't fit in other forums.

Driving Abroad

Postby LiDL » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:46 am

Aside from the obvious "make sure you drive on the wrong side of the road" does anyone have any useful advice on driving abroad or taking your car on a ferry, I'm off to Rotterdam tomorrow and I'm sure I haven't prepared everything.
LiDL
VIP Member
VIP Member

Owns: Gen 3 Hyundai Coupe
View: : Pics of My Car [?]
Move Poster Profile To The Other Side

Advertisement
Please Support The Club

Remove Ads With VIP
Donate using Paypal

Re: Driving Abroad

Postby thedupleman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:28 pm

beam benders for lights,insurance documents,fluro jackets for everyone in car,warning triangle,spare bulbs,reg document adviseable for car,your driving license,enough money to pay any on the spot fine,always wear seatbelt,if in doubt hesitate,continental drivers usually give way to uk ones if they know your struggling,always go right at roundabouts,be careful of priority at roundabouts some country insist you give way to stuff coming on so prepare to brake hard,watch traffic lights as they change differently NEVER overtake a tram or schoolbus thats dropping off,smile alot if police stop you remember they ALL understand some english,even if they make out they dont.health care card with you as well,that replaces old E111 dont change money on boat its a rip off duty free is cheaper off the boat,remember dont bring back too much or your asking for a search,never leave car unlocked anywhere and near park near cars with dented front/rear bumpers
thedupleman
Club Addict
Club Addict

Postby eggcatcher » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:05 pm

Advice for the ferry, when boarding stop before you reach the water, when you reach Holland, drive off the right end of the boat (thats the one with the dock). You'd be amazed how often people get the above wrong.
More seriously, when I went to Holland I noticed mopeds and small motorbikes are allowed to use cycle lanes, so I'd check your blindspots for them at junctions.
And if you planning any future trips to Switzerland, don't. Its illegal to make any modifacations to a car, with your car you'd be put in prison.
eggcatcher
Club Addict
Club Addict

Owns: Gen 1 Hyundai Coupe

Postby thedupleman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:20 pm

do you think they'd even bother charging him for the car when they saw the size of his criminal record?

also try not to speak to police.....with your accent they'll think your putting on a comedy voice :D :lol: :lol:
thedupleman
Club Addict
Club Addict

Advertisement
Please Support The Club

Remove Ads With VIP
Donate using Paypal

Return to General Motoring Discussion