Tyre pressure keeps dropping on passenger side

Get your Hyundai Coupe engine, wheels,
brakes & suspension questions answered.

Tyre pressure keeps dropping on passenger side

Postby Ahmed » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:19 pm

Hello,

The tyre pressure on the passenger side tyres keeps dropping to below 10dpi, give or take a few dpi, every few weeks. Sometimes the front tyre will be lower, sometimes the rear tyre, but they're both always pretty low, whereas the driver side tyres are usually down to around 23dpi after a few weeks.

So I have a few questions, please!

1) How many miles should you be able to drive before the pressure drops by say 5dpi?
2) What could be the reason that BOTH the passenger side tyres have this problem? It could be that I hit a pothole (there are LOTS where I am) with both tyres, or it could be coincidence, but could there be some other reason, like maybe the alignment of my car is incorrect? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, I am a noob when it comes to cars.
3) How much should I expect to pay to have the tyres checked out and if they need to be repaired, how much will that cost, and how much should second hand tyres cost?

Thanks!
Ahmed
Club Regular
Club Regular

Owns: Gen 3 Hyundai Coupe
View: : Pics of My Car [?]
Move Poster Profile To The Other Side

Servicing & Modification Recomended By Many Members - Tiburon Automotive
Advertisement
Please Support The Club

Remove Ads With VIP
Donate using Paypal

Re: Tyre pressure keeps dropping on passenger side

Postby Ahmed » Fri May 13, 2016 12:32 am

To answer my own question in case someone has something similar in the future ...

It seems most places, if not all, will check your tyres for free. The quote I got for the tyres being repaired was 20 pounds per tyre. As it happened, my tyres were actually fine - I took it to two garages, and they both said the tyres were losing pressure because the wheels have corrosion and so the tyres aren't fitted 100% properly.

One of the places said I will need to go to some other place to have my wheels refurbished - that costs between 45 and 60 pounds per wheel.
Halfords said they cleaned the wheels for me - I don't know how they did it, but that cost me nothing.

Thanks.
Ahmed
Club Regular
Club Regular

Owns: Gen 3 Hyundai Coupe

Re: Tyre pressure keeps dropping on passenger side

Postby v6coupeman69 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:26 pm

Hi Ahmed,

I was going to suggest it was alloy corrosion that could be your problem as they become porous and don't seal between tyre and allow air to leak. Best thing to do is get them professionally stripped back to alloy (acid bath or shot blast) and re-powder coated. There are plenty of places that do it. I wouldn't just have them refurbished as they just tart up the visible face of the alloy wheel and not the area that the tyre seats onto.

regards,

Paul
v6coupeman69
Casual Member
Casual Member

Owns: SIII Hyundai Coupe

Servicing & Modification Recomended By Many Members - Tiburon Automotive
Advertisement
Please Support The Club

Remove Ads With VIP