2.0 Performance... Is that it?

Get your Hyundai Coupe engine, wheels,
brakes & suspension questions answered.

2.0 Performance... Is that it?

Postby gRoberts » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:12 am

Hey all,

As naive as I usually am, I stupidly thought that a 140bhp would be somewhat (even a tiny bit) faster?

I picked up my 3.5 2.0 SE yesterday and I'm not sure if it's my previous car, or just the coupe that's making me think something is wrong.

Got a compatible KWP ODB cable coming in the post, as both of my existing ones (VAG/Ford) aren't picking it up, however is there anything else anyone can suggest? It pulls, but even with a brand new clutch, the poor thing won't even wheel spin when flooring it.

Many plans for the car, just as a toy compared to my previous 1.9 TDI (130)

Cheers
gRoberts
Casual Member
Casual Member

Owns: Gen 3.5 Hyundai Coupe
View: : Pics of My Car [?]
Move Poster Profile To The Other Side

Servicing & Modification Recomended By Many Members - Tiburon Automotive
Advertisement
Please Support The Club

Remove Ads With VIP
Donate using Paypal

Re: 2.0 Performance... Is that it?

Postby peterg1955 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:16 am

They're definitely not a quick car... and comparing it to a turbo diesel won't help as in the real world TDs are quite quick - my previous car was a 140bhp TDi Octavia with DSG gearbox which would take off quite quickly when it kicked down and surprised a few drivers of rather more sporting cars expecting to leave me for dust... the car before that was a BMW 330d auto and the Skoda really didn't feel any slower

Unfortunately the Hyundai 2.0 engine is quite an old design and certainly not built for speed. You should be able to spin the wheels from a standstill though
peterg1955
VIP Member
VIP Member

Owns: SIII Hyundai Coupe

Postby gRoberts » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:31 am

I'm assuming there is something wrong with the car - brand new clutch (apparently) and has a full service history, however feels very slow to pick up.

Definitely taking longer than 10 seconds to reach 60.

I'm fairly dabbled hands around cars including diagnostics (I work in IT) however without any diagnostic information, it's difficult to see where to start lol - any suggestions on what I could look at?

The accelerator may be sticky (which I recall being a known issue) so going to check that, but anything else?

Thanks
gRoberts
Casual Member
Casual Member

Postby peterg1955 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:28 pm

Back to basics then:
check the air filter isn't clogged, a full service history doesn't always mean it's been changed.....
check the sparkplugs look healthy, see above...
check fuel flow, clogged filter, dodgy pump/injector etc

PS: I worked in IT when it was called Data Processing. starting on an IBM 360/50 mainframe in 1976, diagnostics were mainly reading off the hexadecimal lights on the front panel! not been in IT since 2002 though.
peterg1955
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby gRoberts » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:52 pm

lol I'm a "geek" to most, but ultimately the thought of playing something like Minecraft or World of Warcraft drives me to the thought of suicide. I build websites for a living... Fun huh ;)

Before I wised up, I used to have to pay between £30 and £100 for a simple diagnostic to find I could pay £15-60 for the gear to do it my self as many times as I want. Suffice to say, I'm growing a collection of diagnostic cables now...

To be fair, I got the car yesterday afternoon and was dealing with the family being over, selling my previous car and all that jazz, so haven't had a proper look.

Bit of work to do but hopefully I should get somewhere over the next week or so (stupidly busy at work might change that.)
gRoberts
Casual Member
Casual Member

Postby Burger28 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:09 pm

gRoberts wrote:Hey all,

As naive as I usually am, I stupidly thought that a 140bhp would be somewhat (even a tiny bit) faster?

I picked up my 3.5 2.0 SE yesterday and I'm not sure if it's my previous car, or just the coupe that's making me think something is wrong.

Got a compatible KWP ODB cable coming in the post, as both of my existing ones (VAG/Ford) aren't picking it up, however is there anything else anyone can suggest? It pulls, but even with a brand new clutch, the poor thing won't even wheel spin when flooring it.

Many plans for the car, just as a toy compared to my previous 1.9 TDI (130)

Cheers

A lot of the cars with a TDI 130 will be pulling similar figures 0-60 as the Coupé. It will FEEL different because of the turbo and, perhaps to a lesser extent, the lower rev range. I recently had to use my mum's Kia Carens 2.0 CRDI (7 seat people carrier!) while my car was having a seized caliper fixed. Despite, on paper, being around a second slower 0-60 the Carens felt potentially faster than the Coupé. The turbo really is noticeable and having to use less revs to get the same acceleration can probably affect that perception in your mind further.

Either way it should be possible to spin the wheels fairly easily, so maybe you do have an issue.
Burger28
Club Regular
Club Regular

Postby gRoberts » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:24 pm

Obviously it's a huge learning curve going from one to the other, I'll soon get used to it and find the best way to drive it.

The wife has a Turbo 900cc Dacia (Renault) which sometimes feels more gusty and that's 90bhp lol

I'll have a fiddle over the next week and hopefully when my diagnostics cable turns up, I can at least check for any hidden codes and check any values that could be causing issues.

When doing diagnostics, are there any standard "expected" values for things like MAF, air/fuel ratio's etc that I can use to check that everything is working correctly?

Thanks

Gav
gRoberts
Casual Member
Casual Member

Servicing & Modification Recomended By Many Members - Tiburon Automotive
Advertisement
Please Support The Club

Remove Ads With VIP