Used Parts Finder Websites

From changing bulbs to topping up your fluids.

Used Parts Finder Websites

Postby trismotteram » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:05 pm

Can they find your parts?
How can you be sure that you stay safe and that they don't take you for a ride?

Well in most cases at least one of the breakers they search through will find your part (unless looking for parts like Gen3.5 headlights and front bumper etc that are gold dust). But as for safety it comes down to the individual yards they look through really. I've used a few of those services on a number of occasions I can't be sure what results came back from what services as I did searches with all the big ones at the same time but you win some, you lose some really.
9/10 are legit but I seem to have found the dodgiest ones in the past. One was a complete scam company... they had a website set up, office with landline, the whole sh-bang to make themselves look kosher but they did a mega-scam for like 2-3 months solidly, cleared about £50k and did a runner. Another one was genuine, I went myself and picked up the parts... all good. Then a few months down the line they must have gone t[*][*]s-up and decided to re-use all credit card details used previously and did a runner also.

A few tips I have learned:
  • If they ring you, whether it comes up with "Private number" or not, ask for a number and YOU call THEM back!
  • If they give you a mobile number and not a landline, ask why. Be suspicious of any breakers yard that doesn't have a land line.
  • Let them know you are still looking round for a part more local/right colour etc and will call them back. Don't let them pressure you! Some may offer you the part cheaper etc if you take the offer up there and then but ask yourself why would they do that? If they are being too pushy then, again, be suspicious.
  • Before calling them back google the company name, try and find a homepage. Nearly all companies, regardless of size, will have a website - it's the 21st Century for crying out loud! If they don't have a website, or not a professional looking one - are they likely to be serious traders?
  • Google the company name along with keywords such as "review", "service" and "complaint". I have found this out the hard way after paying for my parts, wondering why they haven't been delivered and THEN looking for reviews; plenty of results came back but one stood out from a review-based website called "caio" or something where anyone can review everyething and people can add to it. I felt like such a mug!
  • If you are satisfied they are legit, ask to come and view the part for yourself, inspect it and pay cash on collection. I have been told before I can't come on site for insurance purposes - but that is rubbish as I have been on plenty of sites to pick up parts and most have no security what-so-ever... you can just walk around and nobody will even really notice you. After asking this I was once told that they aren't the site, they are the HQ and the part would be coming from one of their yards. They wouldn't disclose the address of the yard to me but gave me a number - I was satisfied - I shouldn't have been. When setting up they apparently used this yard once or twice but they were in no way affiliated. If they really want your business they will do everyhting they can to accomodate you.
  • Don't be fooled by "we need a deposit to hold the part". How likely is it that a hundred other people are looking for that part from that garage at that exact moment? Take the risk. Refuse the deposit until you can go down there yourself, see the part and pay cash. They may not ask for much for a deposit but who can you really trust with your card details over the phone? I have been scammed this way by them using the details a few months later - luckily it was my dad's card and a few calls to the bank (which weren't very helpful at first - "Give them a few days of calling to confirm if it is a mistake first.." etc when they have clearly done a runner) got his money back as he was covered for card fraud.
  • If you can't get down there yourself to pay cash then ask them can they put it on eBay, or pay by Paypal etc. That way you will be covered. If they say they can't then again ask why? It is the 21st Century and pretty much everyone has access to eBay and Paypal that has an internet connection. If they say it is because eBay and Paypal both take a cut then agree to pay extra to cover this yourself - a few pounds is worth it for the security... trust me!
  • Paying by "bank transfer" is NOT safer than paying by card over the phone... not even a little bit! You may now have their bank details and so think you are in the driving seat but by the time you know it has been a scam they are long gone, that account has been emptied and most likely closed, they will have set it up using false details or the account holder will be on the run; but worst of all your bank will not be able to get you your money back, nor pay you out for fraud - as you CHOSE to give them the money. If any company tells you to pay like this then refuse.
  • Be weary of any company that will ONLY take payment beforehand via card or bank transfer. We all know it is illegal (tax evasion on their part) but 99% of breakers prefer cash on collection as they can pocket the cash and pretend the transaction never happened when it comes to Mr Taxman coming knocking - no paper trail means more money in the pocket of the breaker and a cheaper part for you. I don't condone it but we've all done it at some point. However see above for the guidance on paying deposits beforehand by card. Tell them you will risk it, get the address and go yourself that day if possible. If they are genuine the part will be there, they will tell you that you were "lucky" and the price will be up for haggling if the cash is in your pocket. If you get there and they tell you it has "just gone" then they were likely trying to scam you as how likely is that? If they tell you that it IS still there but has been sold over the phone then ask to see it "just to check whether or not it was the right part anyway, so you're sure what you're looking for" etc. If they show you the part and it was right then you were incredibly unlucky - but you played it safe; if they say they can't show you for whatever reason then again they were probably scamming you so you got very lucky.
  • Just for a little more ease of mind, get the address of the yard and put it into Google Maps. An address will work for a section of road but zoom right in on satellite view and scan that road for anything that looks like a breakers yard - it's sometimes hard to distinguish between one and a car park sometimes depending on image quality and monitor resolution... but if it looks like a breakers yard where a breakers yard is supposed to be then it's a good sign; though they could get an address of a genuine breakers yard - so give them a ring to confirm the address a couple of days later and see if they give you the same address without rumaging around for ages.
  • Above all, if something seems too good to be true it almost certainly is. If the price is unbelievable then ask yourself why. Breakers yards aren't stupid, they know how much parts are worth so they won't openly give them away. Most of all NEVER feel shy or scared to question anything, don't worry about seeming like an idiot questioning every aspect of the business. A cautious customer is a safe customer - if they want your business they will help in every way, if they only want your money and have something to hide they probably won't.

Don't do what I did and use every online part finder website going (there are quite a few) just to find your part. Most will search an extensive database of yards and a lot will use some or most of the same ones anyway. This way if you do get contacted by a yard and something goes bad then you can come back to that part finder website; they may or may not claim to be liable for sales from the yards they use but a few angry words may get them to pay out in favour of a bad review on their service and they can cut that site from their database to save more people getting screwed and drive the buggers out of business.
It also allows you to leave GOOD reviews if you have had a positive experience using the service. Many people don't leave positive feedback for anything other than eBay these days (only because it benifits them on eBay) but positive feedback is as helpful to potential buyers as negative.
If you don't hear back within 2 weeks from using that particular part finder then move on to the next one. Slower, but safer.

There is a reason people refer to used [*]anything[*] markets as "buyer beware". Be cautious, be inquisitive, be safe!

^
|
|
This isn't to say that ALL breakers are scammers, they're not. I have used some that I felt the service was spot on even if the price was brilliant, including one delivering a full set of car seats for only £30 more... at about a 100 mile each way trip for them!
trismotteram
Club Addict
Club Addict

Owns: Non Hyundai Coupe
View: : Pics of My Car [?]
Move Poster Profile To The Other Side

Advertisement
Please Support The Club

Remove Ads With VIP
Donate using Paypal

Re: Used Parts Finder Websites

Postby supersai101 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:13 pm

i would NEVER use a breaker again! i'v had such a bad experience with breakyard (A1 dismantlers). I needed a window motor so i found one there for like £35, sounds good and everything so i ordered it. Week has passed and nothing after promised next day delivery, phoned everyday was told the same crap, has been posted etc etc. Phoned royal mail with the tracking number they gave me and was told it didnt mean anything to them. Left a negative review on breakersyard and after promising me they will phone me and not heard anything they phoned me as soon as they saw the feedback to threaten me. Contacted trading standards, a while later a motor did arrive but for the wrong Gen!!! BEWARE
supersai101
Club Addict
Club Addict

Owns: Gen 3.5 Hyundai Coupe

Postby trismotteram » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:20 pm

supersai101 wrote:i would NEVER use a breaker again! i'v had such a bad experience with breakyard (A1 dismantlers). I needed a window motor so i found one there for like £35, sounds good and everything so i ordered it. Week has passed and nothing after promised next day delivery, phoned everyday was told the same crap, has been posted etc etc. Phoned royal mail with the tracking number they gave me and was told it didnt mean anything to them. Left a negative review on breakersyard and after promising me they will phone me and not heard anything they phoned me as soon as they saw the feedback to threaten me. Contacted trading standards, a while later a motor did arrive but for the wrong Gen!!! BEWARE

I did a quick search... not enough specifically on A1 Dismantlers but from Breakeryard.com there are very mixed reviews - even a few top reviews of A1 Dismantlers themselves. It is a risky business, I wasn't put off even after losing £360 and almost losing another £105 as I've had very pleasent experiences as well.
I will definitely only ever do it in person or through eBay in future though. ;)
trismotteram
Club Addict
Club Addict

Owns: Non Hyundai Coupe

Postby thedupleman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:00 pm

you should be looking at ebay for window motors si anyway they are dirt cheap from korea.
one of the best breakers is
www.cartransplants.co.uk
thedupleman
Club Addict
Club Addict

Owns: Gen 3 Hyundai Coupe

Postby supersai101 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:16 pm

yeah i got one shipped from Korea in the end, was like £20 summit brand new aswell, fitted for £40 at my local body shop, even losing the £35 from the scrappy it was still cheaper than what my local Hyundai wanted for a motor £165! thats just for the motor. but yeah i will never use an online scrappy ever again.
supersai101
Club Addict
Club Addict

Owns: Gen 3.5 Hyundai Coupe

Advertisement
Please Support The Club

Remove Ads With VIP
Donate using Paypal

Return to DIY Guides: General Car Maintenence & Misc