Things To Avoid When Modding A Gen3

From changing bulbs to topping up your fluids.

Things To Avoid When Modding A Gen3

Postby thedupleman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:20 am

i decided a long time ago to write a post like this
having had quite a bit of experience modding the coupe,iv decided to write the common sense modding post.how many times have you bought a mod only to find it either doesnt fit or it wont work with summat else you did earlier.so i thought this would be the perfect place for people to write down what they experienced.possible material for a sticky here.....so here's what i know so far

AUDI TT STYLE GEAR BOOT-looks fantastic but what they dont tell you is it wont work properly with a SHORT SHIFTER and looks crap with a short gearstick.its designed to sit up whereas it cant with a short stick!!

STEERING WHEEL COLUMN ADJUSTER-chrome caps look great BUT they dont tell up the plastic end is actually MOLDED on to the metal so you end up hacksawing/dremmeling off and so its NOT reversable.

HANDBRAKE COVER-this is all one piece so if you want to change handbrake cover you have to measure it and cut it off and therefore its not reversable!

OBX RADIATOR HOSES-iv found they are much more flexible when hot hence they constantly leak at the end and just a clip will not stop them you have to seal them too.upping the bar pressure with a different cap probably doesnt help

L.E.D REAR LIGHTS- please note your cruise control will NOT work with LED'S as rear lights.they will need resistors wiring it to make your cruise work.please note this doesnt apply to new lights without led's they wont affect your cruise

TUSCANI MISSION PLATES FROM MIDNIGHT WOLF-if you have it in silver if you put the slightest smallest thing on it it will scratch to hell(ask faz)this also applies to anything done in brushed alloy by midnight wolf including e brake covers
thedupleman
Club Addict
Club Addict

Owns: Gen 3 Hyundai Coupe
View: : Pics of My Car [?]
Move Poster Profile To The Other Side

Advertisement
Please Support The Club

Remove Ads With VIP
Donate using Paypal

Re: things to avoid when modding a gen3 up

Postby thedupleman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:28 am

GEN 3.5 DASH watch the ones from america they are a slightly different size,and obviously dont buy brushed alloy switch covers because they dont fit they are designed for LHD..also watch the pedals you need rhd as lhd are a different shape.

AIRRAM OR INTAKE MANIFOLDS
if buying airram or motoria type intake remember they are all designed for lhd and will fit but will have to be modified heavily -most dont feature fuel rail mounts or anywhere for the vacuum for your brake servo
remember when buying dials remember to check they are legal for uk.they can be in kph but must display mph somewhere on guage

REAR LIGHT TINTINTING FILMS
rear light tinting film.........impossible to get flat on a gen3 and creases and just looks crap better to buy tinted lights or tinting spray...........(doesnt include rear fogs they are flat)
VINYL KITS FOR DASHBOARDS
any dashboard vinyl kit especially from firms like rvinyl.........they are crap

OBX RADIATOR HOSES

wont work with any pressure over 1.0 they will leak everywhere because they are much softer.dont be tempted by 1.3 bar caps

OBX UNDERDRIVE PULLEY
wont fit,but will go on gen1

SHARK RACING MIRROR INDICATORS
real pain to fit and wont work with UK blind spot mirror

T BADGES

pin spacing different so check you have right one in right place before fitting

MULTI GUAGES
real pain to fit in 1.6 too much wiring to get changed

you had any problems?? add them on!
thedupleman
Club Addict
Club Addict

Postby LiDL » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:47 am

LAMBO STYLE DOORS
Look good, but dont buy cheap, the cheap kits (sub £1000) although claiming direct fitment often have rams which are too powerful for the door so will make the door move up very quickly, the doors will also rest on your outer A-Pillar causing some damage to the exterior of the car.
LiDL
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Owain » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:40 pm

M&S Boot Lip Spoiler from PC:

I liked the look in the photos and ordered it. Turned up looking like it had been painted by a child with a spraycan and the method of fitting was to smear your boot with glue and just plonk it down.

Queue one refund and a Mobis high-level.

PCM rear strut brace:

Fine on quality, but it doesn't mention that you need to cut holes in the linings in your boot to fit, so can't be undone.
Owain
Club Regular
Club Regular

Postby paul896 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:20 pm

just to second that the multi gauges in the 1.6 are waaaaay too much work, no one wants them more then me but after 2years i gave up!

Gen3 interior :Gunmetal centre consol and window switches.
Gen3.5 interior: Silver centre panel, centre air vent rings and door grab handles
SIII interior: Chrome ring on air vents, kind of titanium colour on centre consol, door pulls and interior door handles.

So if your if your getting interior parts for your car they may be different colours deoends on which model year you order for
paul896
Club Addict
Club Addict

Postby thedupleman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:11 pm

diode dynamics sells the wiring kit now paul
thedupleman
Club Addict
Club Addict

Postby paul896 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:05 am

yup got that too!!! :(

i still have the dials.....someday.....
paul896
Club Addict
Club Addict

Postby thedupleman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:10 am

dont even attempt to fit digital climate control to the 2.0.the plugs aint the same,for a start and there is so much to change its unbelieveable.iv abandoned it as a bad job :(
thedupleman
Club Addict
Club Addict

Re: Things To Avoid When Modding A Gen3

Postby BigSim1988 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:11 am

Bought a Universal Richbrook chrome aerial to replace the giant standard one that my friends keep moaning about cos it almost get there eyes when they walk round my car at night; turns out the screw threads provided are all too small for the Gen 3 Coupe!
BigSim1988
Casual Member
Casual Member

Postby Labrat of Larbert » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:47 pm

BigSim1988 wrote:Bought a Universal Richbrook chrome aerial to replace the giant standard one that my friends keep moaning about cos it almost get there eyes when they walk round my car at night; turns out the screw threads provided are all too small for the Gen 3 Coupe!

Simple fix:

Remove standard aerial.
Find a nut that fits the thread on the aerial
Find a bolt that fits the nut
Cut head and any unthreaded section off the bolt
Hacksaw a slot in the end of the thread to accept you favourite screwdriver
Carefully drill out the threaded hole in your new aerial to suit your new thread (usually 6mm)
Tap the hole to suit your new thread (Usually 7mm)
Screw your headless bolt into the aerial and tighten using a screwdriver (so the thread will come out with the aerial and not be stuck in the car)
Fit new arial to the car.

For better receprtion use a brass screw.
You can also cut a screwdriver slot in the other end of the screw - if you're paranoid about not being able to remove it.

If you're wrried about trashing a nice new expensive chrome aerial, just buy a cheap aluminium one off e-bay (mine cost 99p with free p&p) and have a go. Even if you do trash it you'll have gained a lot of good experience for 99p
Labrat of Larbert
Club Regular
Club Regular

Postby celicast182 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:29 am

recently fitted yaya engine mounts of the polyurethane variety.
Be warned, prepare yourself for serious steering wheel and dash vibration at tickover.
however the pros significantly outweigh this negative as power delivery is better, gear changes are smoother and even the handling is better thanks to the weight of the engine not dancing about as you get back on the throttle.
celicast182
Casual Member
Casual Member

Advertisement
Please Support The Club

Remove Ads With VIP
Donate using Paypal

Return to DIY Guides: General Car Maintenence & Misc