How to fit LED daytime running lights

From installing angel eyes to your indicators not working,
choosing a new head unit, or installing speakers.

Postby fruitloopy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi all

I have just fitted some flexible LED daytime running lights to my wifes new Seat Ibiza but as I am no auto-electrician I dont know how to wire it to the ignition.

More importantly I want to put another set on my own SIII. I could happily wire it to the side lights but for a better effect I would like to wire them to the ignition so when you turn the key twice they come on and stay on when the car is running.
When switching the headlights on they would go out.

Any idea how I do that?

The lights were purchase from Halfords - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_715113_langId_-1_categoryId_272448 - although I may take them back as they arent very bright.

As mentioned in the "Welcome" section, the Hyundai Coupe SIII is the best car I have ever had...I love it!
fruitloopy
Club Regular
Club Regular

Owns: SIII Hyundai Coupe
View: : Pics of My Car [?]
Move Poster Profile To The Other Side

Advertisement
Please Support The Club

Remove Ads With VIP
Donate using Paypal

Postby Chunkscoupe » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:46 pm

Wire to side lights is a common approach, when you do do it please take pictures walk thrus are always wanted by others
Chunkscoupe
VIP Member
VIP Member

Owns: Gen 3 Hyundai Coupe

Re: How to fit LED daytime running lights

Postby Angelus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:40 pm

There is a module you can buy off ebay to make the DRL's "legal".
Angelus
VIP Member
VIP Member

Owns: Non Hyundai Coupe

Postby Mr Tuscan » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:15 pm

Their are certain Angel Eyes that work effectively as DRL's they do require some more effort by talking headlights apart but look soooo much better than stuck on one's which I ways think look a bit naff...
Mr Tuscan
VIP Member
VIP Member

Owns: Gen 3.5 Hyundai Coupe

Postby Alxnks » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:40 pm

In order to switch off when turning on side lights, you will need a relay wired in parallel to the side lights and when those switch on, the relay will cut the power to the day lights. It's not that difficult to do.
Alxnks
Club Regular
Club Regular

Postby fruitloopy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:05 pm

I just bought these DRL controllers from eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRL-Daytime-Running-Light-Relay-Car-Control-On-Off-Auto-Switch-12V-CE-UK-Legal-/251201670493?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

I may need to connect these to the ignition source...anyone know how I can do this?
When I install then I will take pics and detail what I did for others (if it successful!)

Cheers,
Simon
fruitloopy
Club Regular
Club Regular

Postby VoodooRoller » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:55 am

fruitloopy wrote:When I install then I will take pics and detail what I did for others (if it successful!)

I'm a complete electrical noob so I'd be interested in this :) I can follow instructions, strip wires and connect them together but that's about it haha xD
VoodooRoller
Club Addict
Club Addict

Postby Chunkscoupe » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:56 am

Thanks simon
Chunkscoupe
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Angelus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:02 am

fruitloopy wrote:I just bought these DRL controllers from eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRL-Daytime-Running-Light-Relay-Car-Control-On-Off-Auto-Switch-12V-CE-UK-Legal-/251201670493?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

I may need to connect these to the ignition source...anyone know how I can do this?
When I install then I will take pics and detail what I did for others (if it successful!)

Cheers,
Simon

Yup thats one of the kits. Ive got drl's planned at some point next year.
Angelus
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Chunkscoupe » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:04 am

Please walk thru as I want to do drls too but also tie my drls (when installed) with my fender LEDs
Chunkscoupe
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby fruitloopy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:40 pm

I finally managed it! I have fitted my LED DRL's and the sense of achievement I have is fantastic.
Its been a steep learning curve but I have learnt some things about car electrics now. Although I am still mystified by most of it.

Sorry if this goes on a bit or is too much info but I knew bugger all about how to do this myself so I hope this helps those who are also struggling. If you need any more info the please get in touch.

Here's what I bought:
1. LED DRL's from eBay - An unexpected purchase as I had already bought some for £25 from Halfords but I wasnt keen on them so I found these ones for £4 and they work briliantly
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-48CM-Flexible-Linear-Waterproof-LED-Strip-Daytime-Running-Light-XENON-WHITE-/250943608154?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160
2. Next I got a DRL Control module, also from eBay. These put the whole setup much closer to being legal as when wired correctly they come on with the 2nd turn of the igition key (ACC) and when sidelights or main lights are switched on they turn off.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRL-Daytime-Running-Light-Relay-Car-Control-On-Off-Auto-Switch-12V-CE-UK-Legal-/251201670493?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
3. Buy some bullet (male and female) connectors - I used some red 5amp ones and some cable lock connectors. I bought a box full from QD for a couple of quid
4. Multitester - you will struggle without this. Borrow one from a friend or make a trip to Maplin.
5. Very strong double sided adhesive strips or appropriate glue

Here's what I did:
1. Test your lights - Just put the copper coloured connection of the LED light to the positive of your battery and the other end to the negative.
2. Test the DLR Control module - Connect your LED light to one pair of positive and negative, then put the fused positive and negative of the DLR module to the battery terminals. You should hear a click from the DLR module whenever you make a connection
If everything is working then continue...

Small but important step - Cut about 8-10 inches off the yellow cable of the DRL module. You'll need it later.

3. Remove your front drivers side wheel - it makes access to the wheel arch much easier. You may be able to jack up the wheel enough to give clearance above it to work without removing it.
4. Remove the fuse cover under the steering wheel
5. Remove two screws that secure the plastic panel under the steering wheel (dont know what its called, sorry) then pull sharply to release the panel
6. Have a look for the cables that come from the ignition barrel. I think there are about 3 red and two pink. One of these reds is the ACC (I Hope!) and you'll have to shave a bit of insulation from one to test.
Turn the ignition off.
Using your multimeter clip the negative using a crocodile clip to the screw that secures the drivers door. Make sure it has bare metal to connect to or you wont get a reading. Now touch the positive to the bare wire you just stripped of. Do you have a 0 reading? Good! Now turn your ignition key once and test again. If there is still no reading then turn the key again to the ACC setting and test again. Hopefully your'll now get 12v. If not put a bit of insulation tape around the stripped wire and try another red.
Continue until you find the one you want.
7. Once you have found it test it against your DLR and connected LED light. It should be off when the ignition is off and should come on when you turn your key twice to the ACC.

So far so good

8. You need to find one of the cables going to your sidelight. Unscrew the protective cap behind the sidelight and identify the cable. If your not sure then switch your sidelights on. I drilled a small hole through the protective cap so I could pass the cable through it. Using a cable lock connector join the yellow cable from the DRL module to one of the sidelight cables.
Test the connection with your DRL and LED light by switching on the sidelights, if the LED lights go out then well done. Screw the protective cap back on the lights.
9. I found the easiest way to run a cable through the bulkhead was to bypass it through the drivers front wheel arch. With the wheel off or jacked up you can see a small hole above the wheel
Cut the connector off the end of the fused positive lead and from the engine side pass it through this hole. Pull the wire through as much as you can.
10. Facing the wheel arch have a look around the 10o'clock position. You'll see a cable coming out, this is the bonnet release cable coming from the drivers footwell.
With a bit of patience and maybe a screwdriver you can push your red wire through the rubber grommet so its inside it along with the bonnet release cable. It should appear in the drivers footwell.
11. Pull the red wire through - its not long enough is it?! Youll need to use the yellow wire you clipped earlier and join it up using bullet connectors.
12. Connect your extended positive wire to the ACC live you identified earlier using a cable lock connector.

Test everything again.

Now to put your lights on:
The reason I suggest the LED lights above is because on the Coupe SIII there is a 6-8mm gap under the headlight cluster and these lights fit very well under that gap!
1. Unscrew and unbolt the cover at the front of the bonnet - no idea what its called but here's a picture:
2. Remove each light cluster by unbolting three 10mm bolts
3. Lift it up out of the way and check the positioning of your LED lights. Lay down your adhesive tape or glue and stick your LED's down.
4. Replace the headlight cluster carefully. Put some force on it to push it down against the LED strip to really anchor it in.
5. Repeat for the other side.

Test everything

Now tidy up your cables using cable ties and routing them around the engine bay.
Put everything back together and test.

Job done!

fruitloopy
Club Regular
Club Regular

Postby Chunkscoupe » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:17 pm

This is brilliant and they look amazing
Chunkscoupe
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Angelus » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Since i posted that link i found this module, this one dims one side of the drls when you indicate like cars from the factory : Ebay Item:230907426580
Angelus
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Chunkscoupe » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:30 pm

Can you post a picture of these during the day?
Chunkscoupe
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby VoodooRoller » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Very nice job, very nice guide :)
Have you got any pictures of the LEDs during the day when they're off? I'm worried they might stick out or look weird lol :)
VoodooRoller
Club Addict
Club Addict

Postby Mr Tuscan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:27 pm

That is my only worry about stick on drls. Look fine when on but when off........ not seen one yet I could put up with. Good job on the install though. They look good in the photos.
Mr Tuscan
VIP Member
VIP Member

Owns: Gen 3.5 Hyundai Coupe

Postby fruitloopy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:57 am

Ok, here's the lights during the day...switched on and off. I know it doesnt look like daytime but it has been snowing here and it looks set to dump a lot more.
I was also concerned about stuck on DRL's and luckily I bought that cheap set from eBay otherwise all I had were the £25 set from Halfords which would either have to be stuck on or set inside the headlight cluster. The cheap set fitted quite nicely wedged under the cluster but I think I need to spend a bit more effort on correctly sticking them down.

It may put my mind at ease to check the light levels, height of beam, etc as I may have pushed the cluster up slightly.
fruitloopy
Club Regular
Club Regular

Postby Dext924 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:07 pm

Superb job....this is defo on my to do list. :-)
Dext924
Club Regular
Club Regular

Postby Chunkscoupe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:13 pm

We're these glued to the bumper? If so have you given your self the ability to unclip easily if the bumpers removed?

Oh forgot to say thanks for the walk thru Simon :)
Chunkscoupe
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby VoodooRoller » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Oh man.
I absolutely love these.
They look so good, OEM almost...

Until you switch them off and get up close. I'm so petty when it comes to them sticking out like that! :(

Is there any of mounting them inside the headlight cluster in the same shape? I've never taken mine apart before, not sure if you have to do the whole heatgun-on-the-sealant thing on the SIII lights since I remember seeing a load of plastic clips last time I looked.
If not then it's going to have to be angel eyes only for me :P

Chunkscoupe wrote:We're these glued to the bumper? If so have you given your self the ability to unclip easily if the bumpers removed?

See in this pic he used the bullet connectors. Easy to remove:
Last edited by VoodooRoller on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VoodooRoller
Club Addict
Club Addict

Postby Chunkscoupe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:02 pm

Good catch voodoo
Chunkscoupe
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby fruitloopy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:00 am

To be honest I was running out of daylight towards the end so I rather hastily used the adhesive strips supplied with the set of lights I didnt use. These did not stick well, neither did the glue gun or the final resort...superglue! I think it was too cold outside for any glue to set. My choices at that point (late Sunday afternoon with work in the morning).
1. Try desperately to glue the bastards down so I wouldnt lose them on the motorway
2. Rip them off and try again next weekend

I'm gonna do it again when it warms up to make them neater. They could be set further back under the cluster and glued/attached to the cluster maybe.

In answer to your question though, yes they are glued to the bumper. Hopefully I can now get them off without removing paint!
fruitloopy
Club Regular
Club Regular

Postby Angelus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:38 am

Try two part putty instead, if you can take your lights out and work on them inside that would be better.
Angelus
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby fruitloopy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:50 am

Could you recommend a two part putty? I'm not familiar with it.
I dont think theres room inside the lights, although perhaps along the top?

Maybe here?
fruitloopy
Club Regular
Club Regular

Postby Angelus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:55 am

i think there was already talk of this not being possible inside the light itself on here and on new tib but ill have a quick search on it.
The two part putty i got was for my angel eyes and i got it from a pound shop, mine was in liquid form and you just mix it into a paste but the ones im seeing on ebay and other places is a thick tube of putty. Ill get back to you on that.
Angelus
VIP Member
VIP Member

Advertisement
Please Support The Club

Remove Ads With VIP
Donate using Paypal
Next

Return to Audio, Electrical & Lighting